Reviews for Wild Rocket

AsianChineseFusionSingaporean

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

Modern Singaporean Food and a great value set menu

So first time to this Singaporean restaurant that's been around a few years now, and about which we've heard great things.

It's a ittle off the beaten track, on Upper Wilkie road, although you can get there from Little India MRT, and then a ten minute walk. The restaurant is part of the Hangout hotel, which is a boutique hotel, with a fresh modern interior.

The set menu we tried, the Rocket Set, was at time of writing, an absolute dining bargain at $55. For this you get five courses, most of which are a fusion of Italian meets Singapore and SEA flavours.  So we had for example, spaghetti with Harji dried shrimp, Quail with a Tom Kha sauce and black rice, and Canelloni made with pork ragout and a Tau Yew Bah soy sauce.  All of these were executed to a very high standard of ingredients and presentation, and some very interesting flavour combinations.

Our only suggestion on how to improve, would be to give the diners more description on the origin of the dishes, and some of the history.  For example, until we asked, we had no idea of what Tau Yew Bay is (a kind of Soy sauce), and as it's this fusion of local flavours and history that makes Wild Rocket interesting, I think they should play this up more.

We took some friends new to Singapore to it, and it's a great place to try some Singaporean inspired food before getting down to real stuff in the Hawker centres.
• 21 Jan 2015 • 40 reviews • 8 followers

Modern Singaporean Food and a great value set menu

• 12 Jan 2015 • 4 reviews • 0 follower

Amazing Unique Dishes

Overall
Heard of this restaurant from one of my friends who was praising the creativity in the fusion food, as well as their quality taste. I went there with my family and we ordered a variety of food. I have to say, its very rare that our whole family will actually agree on food tasting good. But this is exactly what happpened here, especially the desert! I will come back again with my family and even friends.
• 23 Nov 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

AAA Ratings

Overall
I have never been one to contribute reviews of any sort, I'm no food critic and in any case, one man's meat is another man's posion. For Wild Rocket however, I'd make an exception. My experience at the restaurant deserves AAA ratings. The 3 As stand for Amazing, Astounding and Awesome!

My husband and I both had the omakase menu. It was an orgasmic 8 course tasting menu and here are our favourite plates,

1) The scallop carpaccio topped off with the humble chye poh. It was a perfect combination where the savoury chye poh enhanced the sweetness of the scallop

2) The ingenious bar chor mee with no bar chor! In place of minced pork the chef used minced tuna belly on top of iberico infused glass noodles

3) Lobster infused 'Singapore Noodles', the chef's tribute to a common made-up Singaporean dish found across restuarants in London during his university days. My only complaint was that there was too little of it on my plate

4) A sorbet dessert, one of 2 dessert dishes, which brought back great nostalgic memories of how my parents eat pineapple drizzled with dark soya sauce and chilli.

I have no visually enticing images to share but then again no photos can do justice to the amazing experience.

Food aside, I loved the overall personalised touches. Not only does head chef and restraunteur Willin Low come to serve you, he layers on each with his own anecdotes. Each dish is also served in his own collection of pretty and intricate cockery, some amassed during his overseas trips.

I'd also give praise to the service staff for their earnest efforts to make you feel at home. Who needs to dine at a chi-chi restaurant when you can enjoy top quality food at service levels which make you feel comfortable in your own skin.

Our local dining scene may be burgeoning due to the influx of Michelin star chefs, but our very own local stalwart Wild Rocket continues to shine as one of the brightest culinary stars. Keep up the good work, I will be coming back for more.