Back to Wild RocketHangout Hotel, 10A Upper Wilkie Road

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining3 votes

shauneeie
 • Tuesday at 10:35pm 6 reviews 0 follower
Overall
we had the ala carte menu and came out somewhat dissapointed with the mains. the dessert though were amazing, i'd come back just for the desserts by chef willin . find our more of my visit -->  http://shauneeie.blogspot.sg/2014/08/wild-rockets-mount-emily.html

Must tries: strawberry cheesecake, pandan-infused panna cotta with salted gul melaka

Ala Carte, Hidden Find, Romance/First Dates

NOMM NOM
 • 20 Aug 2012 11 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Came down to this secluded restaurant to try their set lunch on a saturday; perhaps due to its inaccessibility, the restaurant was generally empty.

Diners can opt for a 2 course or 3 course lunch and several options for each course require additional charges.

we all had the soft shell chilli crab w squid ink mantou for starters. Though the crab was slightly too oily, the chilli suace was decadently done- surprisingly more asian than western tasting which was a delightful surprise. The squid ink mantou was the perfect accompaniment for the dish.

One diner had the nori spaghettini with white prawns, one had the salmon donburi with red rice while the third diner and I had the roasted seabass with chaipoh confit & congee (+$6 more).

The spaghettini was a breath of fresh air, novel flavors that intrigued the palate but somewhat too sweet. The salmon donburi was EXCELLENT, though we thought it would have been better if the salmon was raw, sashimi-like (not smoked). The seabass was slightly fishy but when paired with the chaipoh faired much better. However, we did not think it was worth the additional $6.

We enquired if we could swap the main course (for the lunch set) with options in the alarcarte and was told that the arrangement would be possible as long as we pay for the difference. We are definitely planning to do so on subsequent visits- the laksa pesto pasta, giam hee aglio olio spaghettini and crabmeat linguini beckons.

For dessert, we had the chocolate lava cake, clamansi ice and panna cotta w gula melaka. The best was the chocolate lava cake with a (truly) oozing centre. nonetheless, the calamansi was refreshingly tangy and light as well. The panna cotta was consumed in a blink of an eye, so it must have been good.

Service was prompt and efficient though the starter took quite some time to come. We were politely and most graciously compensated with a complimentary amuse bouche of mushroom w truffle oil in guai pai tee.

Though not the best of value set lunch, we are definitely returning for more fusion pleasure!

Lunch, Dinner, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, After Work, Hidden Find

hungryandpicky
 • 24 Jun 2012 28 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Do visit my little scribble site Screaming Gastrogasms (www.eberdz.weebly.com) fr complete review of Wild Rocket, and other food scratchings.

It was only till 2012 that I have been to sample the renowned Wild Rocket, which popularized the genre of 'mod-Sin'; sheesh, really late of me! Basically, mod-Sin that refers to various European cuisines fused with Singaporean touches; such Singaporean/Asian flavours or ingredients. Finally cabbed down to the famed restaurant for lunch; they have pretty good set lunch deals, as most restaurants of similar calibre and price range do: 3 courses at $32++.

Wild Rocket is a pretty little place; with charming waiters and a light, airy space comprising mainly of a contemporary-chic vibe. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about the decor except for the chairs that my companion and I were seated on, which was upholstered in a grey snakeskin pattern. Nice.

My appetizer: Barramundi carpaccio with orange shallot oil.

This was absolutely delicious! The flavours were so clear and pure and uninterrupted. The fish is so thinly sliced and lies peacefully, allowing the porcelain to shine through the translucent flesh. The barramundi is incredibly fresh and sweet too. The shallot oil is the fragrant 葱油 we know, but is now perked up with piquant zesty citrus. Fusion that works. Fabulous!

My main course: roast Chilean sea bass with chai poh confit and congee (+$6 for this main). This was an absolute winner! Every mouthful was sheer delight. The cod was refined, fresh and succulent; the flesh sweet and juicy and firm, and best of all, it really worked with the chai poh confit! The chai poh of course was a lot less oily and strong-tasting than those served at hawker centre chwee kueh stalls but no less tasty. It was a great foil to the cod; a unique yet delicious combination that is memorable simply because few places would dream up such a combination! And it WORKS. Far too many places also pair 'inventive' ingredients but the tastes stay disparate, the end result is not coherent. Glad that Wild Rocket is above such inadequacies. The porridge was weird when I tried it by itself; it was gluey and tasteless. But I guess it was made that way so as not to interrupt the flavours of the sea bass. And yup, you guessed it, when the chai poh is mixed with the porridge it becomes alot tastier.

Dessert time! My choice of pandan-infused panna cotta with salted gula melaka.

This was so uncompromisingly delightful, delicious and decadent. Gastrogasm alert! The wobbly panna cotta is firm yet soft to the bite and the luscious, unmistakeable scent of pandan is rendered swoonsome with the vanilla and cream of the panna cotta. A mesmerizing fusion again, as pandan is a very Singaporean flavour, yet it is so effectively incorporated into a traditional Italian classic, and ELEVATES it, instead of only complementing it. The gula melaka was sticky and grainy with salt; the sweet and salty flavours are a match in heaven and when paired with the panna cotta, forms a perfect symphony of flavours. This is one of the loveliest, most well-executed desserts I've had in a long long while.

Quite a lovely place with lovely food. Do come and try!

Must tries: Chilean seabass with chai poh, pandan-infused panna cotta with salted gul melaka

• pandan panna cotta
  • chilean sea bass with chai poh confit
  • barramundi carpaccio with orange shallot oil