Review for Wild Rocket

AsianChineseFusionSingaporean
Address: Hangout Hotel, 10A Upper Wilkie Road, 228119

19 Aug 2014

wild rocket @ mt emily

we had the ala carte menu and came out somewhat dissapointed with the mains. the dessert though were amazing, i'd come back just for the desserts by chef willin . find our more of my visit -->  http://shauneeie.blogspot.sg/2014/08/wild-rockets-mount-emily.html
strawberry cheesecake, pandan-infused panna cotta with salted gul melaka

More reviews of Wild Rocket

Delicious and Great Value

The tasting menu at $78+++ is delicious. It is a great place to have dinner with friends as the ambiance is cozy. With the Survival Chic's offer of 30% discount, it is fantastic!! Thanks to the Chef, and he came to take a picture with our group :-)

Outstanding fusion food

Outstanding fusion food in mixture of local delight and european cusine. Small portion and pricey although. The aroma, presentation and delightful food more than make up for it. My favorite is the 'tau yew bah soy sauce pork ragout rigatoni'.

minus point - the chef didnt came over to our dinner table while he went to greet others : (
Overall

“What are you still waiting for?” A must try!

Reservation was made for 2 for a weekday evening. Do note that if one is going for the omakase menu, one would need to make the reservation by phone.

Wild Rocket is located within Hangout Hotel which is at the top of Mount Emily. Since we were feeling a little lazy, we took a cab from Plaza Singapura. Despite its close proximity, our cab fare came up to almost $10 cause of the windy route the cab had to take. Hmm…

And because we had made reservation for the omakase tasting menu, we were led to the chef counter. We were not given the menu (pages 12) because by going with omakase, it meant we were leaving it to chef Willin! It’s also while chatting with the staff that we learnt that if one would like to have the omakase menu at the (normal) tables, one would need to come in a group of at least 4.

And with that, we started our dinner:-

1) Dish #1 – And to kick start our dinner, chef Willin presented us with pomelo salad with tiger prawns and frozen coconut dressing. He went on to say this was Thai-inspired, and that this dish was also created and served to Princess of Thailand when she visited his restaurant. And for this, we were told to break the ‘ice cream’. A refreshing and nutty start to our meal.

2) Dish #2 – And this was inspired by our local dish bak chor mee. Chef Willin described it perfectly when he said, “Fat of land meets fat of ocean”. Ha. Glass noodles cooked with pork fats topped with chopped tuna belly. My favourite of the night.

3) Dish #3 – Chef Willin’s interpretation of our local dish nasi lemak. And this was amazing. Nasi lemak puree (which had the aroma of pandan leaves) with pan-seared Hokkaido scallop, anchovy chilli and puffed rice.

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here: PART2

One would probably get 1 or 2 desserts for the omakase menu. My Jap-foodie-GF and I had 4 desserts because when we were to be served our desserts, we were still feeling a little hungry (or rather, greedy) and curious. So we ordered more. Ha. And it was a very nice gesture when the staff said he could do tasting portion for us when we were contemplating between 2 of the 3 desserts on the a-la carte menu. In fact, I really appreciated it that the staff did not recommend us to try the ‘pandan-infused panna cotta’ from the a-la carte menu because the chendol from our omakase menu had a small portion of the panna cotta too.

Will I recommend Wild Rocket? Definitely. Rather, it’s a “What are you still waiting for?” Lunch omakase ranges between $80 to $120 while dinner omakase ranges from $120 to $160 per person depending on the ingredients used for the meals. Our meal came up to $135 (before GST and service charge) per person. I am already thinking of heading back to try their a-la carte dishes since what was offered in our dinner omakase is different from what’s available on their a-la carte menu.

---------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog

Modern Singaporean Food and a great value set menu

So first time to this Singaporean restaurant that's been around a few years now, and about which we've heard great things.

It's a ittle off the beaten track, on Upper Wilkie road, although you can get there from Little India MRT, and then a ten minute walk. The restaurant is part of the Hangout hotel, which is a boutique hotel, with a fresh modern interior.

The set menu we tried, the Rocket Set, was at time of writing, an absolute dining bargain at $55. For this you get five courses, most of which are a fusion of Italian meets Singapore and SEA flavours.  So we had for example, spaghetti with Harji dried shrimp, Quail with a Tom Kha sauce and black rice, and Canelloni made with pork ragout and a Tau Yew Bah soy sauce.  All of these were executed to a very high standard of ingredients and presentation, and some very interesting flavour combinations.

Our only suggestion on how to improve, would be to give the diners more description on the origin of the dishes, and some of the history.  For example, until we asked, we had no idea of what Tau Yew Bay is (a kind of Soy sauce), and as it's this fusion of local flavours and history that makes Wild Rocket interesting, I think they should play this up more.

We took some friends new to Singapore to it, and it's a great place to try some Singaporean inspired food before getting down to real stuff in the Hawker centres.

Amazing Unique Dishes

Heard of this restaurant from one of my friends who was praising the creativity in the fusion food, as well as their quality taste. I went there with my family and we ordered a variety of food. I have to say, its very rare that our whole family will actually agree on food tasting good. But this is exactly what happpened here, especially the desert! I will come back again with my family and even friends.