Summary

crackling pork, double boiled soup, Shark's fin soup, BBQ pork buns, Cereal cod fillet, Chee cheong fun, Crispy Layered Radish Pastry, Dong Po pork, Liu Sha Pau, Lobster Steamed With Egg White & Hua Diao Wine, Lou Sar Bao, Panfried XO radish cake, Radish pastry, Rice dumplings, Salted eggyolk buns, Sauteed Prawns with XO sauce, Shrimp dumplings, Siew Mai, Siew mai with abalone, Slow-Cooked Pork Belly with Man Tou, Soya sauce chicken with ginger dip, Spring Rolls with goose liver, Steamed dim sums, Thousand Layer Cake Cantonese Style, Wok Fried Glutinous Rice, Wok-baked Lobster with Superior Stock and Spring Onion, beef cubes, chicken feet, har gau, mango prawn, scallop rice roll, slow cooked fatty pork belly, spare ribs, sweet & sour pork View all
Business Dining, Dinner, Lunch, Fine Dining, Quiet, Private Dining, Brunch, Children/Family, Corporate Events, Romance/First Dates, Large Groups/Gathering, After Work, Buffet, Nice Deco View all

Seriously disappointing CNY dinner

We were late. For the annual Chinese New Year reunion dinner booking frenzy that is. Trying to get a table about a month before the actual day proved to be an exasperating effort and with our options limited, we settled for Yan Ting. To be honest, I wasn't too optimistic about the quality of food as my previous dining experiences at Yan Ting (> 20 times  in the past 2 years) only yielded disappointment with the ala carte menu (dim sum is above average though).   To accomodate the CNY reunion dinner crowd, Yan Ting has replaced a few of the cosy 4 seaters with round tables for 6 pax as well as opened up the nearby ballrooms for bigger groups. The usual peace and calm in the restaurant was replaced by the hustle and bustle of wait staff madly dashing around serving customers and the incessant chatter from families (us included).   Prosperity Yusheng with Norwegian Salmon - I'm usually not too picky about yusheng but Yan Ting's offering was seriously underwhelming.The flavours were bland and I couldn't make out any sweetness from the plum sauce and even the crackers were tasteless!    Double Boiled Chicken Consomme with Abalone and Fish Maw - Presentation was almost non existent for this dish and it looked like a plain, simple bowl of soup. No fancy soup bowl, garnishes, nothing. Having said that, the broth was light yet tasty with a reasonably sized piece of abalone, fish maw and chicken slices.    Hong Kong Style Steamed Coral Trout - I had expected a whole fish to share but all we got was 3 slices of coral trout each (too expensive probably?), served up in a dim sum steamer. The trout's flesh was sweet, smooth yet firm with a mild saltiness from the shreds of jinhua ham (金華火腿).    Stewed Pig's Trotter with Moss and Prosperity Oyster in Brown Sauce - This is honestly the first time I've seen pig's trotters in a reunion dinner menu and I can't say that I'm thrilled. Though tender, the trotters were bland due to the lacklustre brown sauce. Not a big fan of dried oysters so I'll reserve my comments.    Crispy Roasted Chicken with Truffles ($30++ for Half) - This dish was an add on on top of our 6 course dinner and the description had me all salivating. Imagine the prospect of juicy chicken meat coupled with crispy skin and the fragrance of truffles - a match made in heaven in my humble opinion. Alas, reality proved otherwise. Sure, the skin was a tad crispy and the meat wasn't too salty. However, the meat was a bit too dry while the truffle smell was barely existent. Whilst I appreciated the black truffle slices, they seemed to play a more decorative role than a functional one; they were bland and void of the strong, earthy aroma that I normally associate with black truffle.    See my entire review pictures here

Most helpful reviews for Yan Ting

Poorly designed space, food not up to the hype.

For a restaurant located in a 6-star hotel, the private rooms were very poorly designed when ignoring the fancy decor outside. For a dinner serving 10 people, two of my guests had to serve themselves throughout the entire 8-course dinner as the wait staff could not reach across the space. The table was so tightly fit into the room which made movement difficult for both diners and the staff throughtout the meal.

Food-wise, the meal was decent, and I believe it would have been better if we tried out more of their popular dishes which were not in the set menu reccomended. For diners keen to try out the food, don't try their Chinese New Year menu, as the prices are pretty steep while the dishes served were definitely not up to the hype nor the price.

My biggest kudos goes to the servers who were really friendly and tried their best to work with the space. On the overall, the CNY menu was overrated and I suggest that diners don't book a private room (for those with mobility issues, call in advance, as the general dining area appears tightly packed as well.)

Good Cantonese Food

For full review and pics, do visit therantingpanda.com

I was really excited to try some of the highlights from the revamped à la carte menu on my latest visit, featuring Yan Ting’s Executive Chef Tony Wun’s signature creations. For a start, I had the Trio of Appetisers, featuring the Deep-fried Whitebait Fish with salt and pepper, Homemade Marinated Radish and Pan-fried Scallop in Teriyaki Sauce. My favourite of the lot is the fresh scallops drenched in teriyaki sauce as it offered the most flavour for me amongst the trio. A promising start to the meal indeed.

Dimsum - dainty but delicious

Yan Ting Restaurant serves Chinese fine dining cuisine strongly inspired by the authentic Ming Dynasty, when authentic Chinese culinary art flourished. They have an exquisite menu specially designed and crafted by their new Executive Chinese Chef, Tony Wun. It was Easter Sunday but the restaurant was packed with diners.

The interior decor was all gilt and mirrors, with some frosted glass panels and fine paintings adorning the walls. There was nothing short of a touch of class and sophistication with the drapes and muted but tasteful tones of the restaurant.

We came for their Dimsum, so our first item was their Crispy BBQ Pork Buns (SGD$6.00 for 3) - there were 5 of us and we ordered 3 to start. We liked it enough to order another set of these crispy pork buns with crusty skin that melted in the mouth; the honeyed BBQ pork were tender and sweet, filling up these crusty shells deliciously.

Moving on, we had Meat Dumplings with Abalone (SGD$9.00 for 3), or better known as "Siew Mai". The abalone was steamed soft and tender, very easy to bite - even the mom approves. The shrimp within the dumpling was very fresh and bouncy, however I did not like the meat. Instead of the usual minced meat, the meat in the siew mai here seemed to be in pieces, and were hard, with a distinctive porky taste that was not pleasant in my opinion.

The next item another remarkable favorite of mine - the Goose Liver Spring Rolls (SGD$14.00 for 3) - crackling on the exterior and scrumptious on the inside. If you love foie gras, this is just the thing for you - goose liver amongst slivers of vegetables, perfectly paired in texture and flavours.

Finally, the one item we managed to squeeze space in our abdomens for - Red Bean Cakes (SGD$8.00 for 3), or known as "3-layers cakes" as recommended by the service crew. The first layer is Osmanthus, then Coconut in the middle, sitting atop Red Bean which is the bottommost layer - the cooling and refreshing dessert was utterly endearing. They were not too sweet, adding just the right touch of soothe to the palate after an engaging savoury meal (yes, the dimsum managed to engage the senses overall).

For full review and more detailed information, please feel free to visit:

AN EXHILARATING CANTONESE BUFFET!

Yan Ting 宴庭 has always been lauded as the best Dim Sum or Cantonese restaurant in many social media platforms. And I have to admit of feeling slightly ashamed that I was once sceptical of this restaurant [as it may be just another super-expensive-but-fall-short-of-expectations restaurant (Eg, Jiang Nan Chun, Man Fu Yuan)] until recently when I decided to give it a shot for the feast on 大年初三 (the third day of CNY) with the family. Having huge appetites, we got the buffet brunch for $108++ that serves a huge inexhaustible menu with Chinese tea. Priced at such a premium value, lets scrutinise!

For a more detailed review, please visit https://foodolicious.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/yan-ting-%E5%AE%B4%E5%BA%AD-an-exhilarating-cantonese-buffet/

Very expensive vis-a-vis quality of food

This place is strictly for special ocassions. Ambiance is top class here with good service. Food i.e. dim sum, however is not up to par with the ambiance. Wouldn't rate it anywhere close to being the best dim sum; in fact, some dishes comes across as blend. You are literally paying for the ambiance and service.