Back to Yoshiyuki#B1-39, Forum The Shopping Mall, 583 Orchard Road

whaleliciousfay
 • 09 Aug 2014 123 reviews 5 followers
Overall
Yoshiyuki does kaiseki, which is Japanese traditional multi-courses meal. Set menu of selected food is served on individual tray, with chef paying a lot of attention to presentation. We were told by the staff at Yoshiyuki that their food are light(er) on the taste palate.

For dinner, there’re 2 options. $228 or $288. We went with the latter which comprises of sakizuke, hassun, suimono, tsukuri, yakimono, onbachi, shiizakana, shokuji and mizugashi. And with that, we started our dinner:-

1) Fig with sweet miso – This is a first for me to have steamed fig. Slightly odd it may seem, but the sweetness of the fig was retained. I enjoyed biting into the soft flesh and into the crunchy seeds.

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here: PART2

11) Octopus sashimi – Having ordered our second bottle of sake and not being full yet, we decided to ordered 2 more dishes. And it’s pretty exciting to see head chef Yoshi Kashiwabara and sous chef Shota Kanko go into a serious discussion when we told them to surprise us. Ha. And we were served octopus sashimi, done in two ways. First, fresh; Slightly boiled before sous chef Shota Kanko immersed the tentacles into cold water. Second, with soy sauce. Tako was fresh and chewy. Yum.

12) Tempura – This was so good! Especially the sea eel tempura. Imagine biting through crisp thin tempura (skin) into fresh and warm meat which taste is light and delicate. So glad we ordered these additional dishes.

13) Fruits – And because my friend informed that it was my birthday when he made reservation, we were presented with a fruit platter which had a candle stuck on the ice cream. Keke. The ice cream is slightly unique, being vanilla with salt.

14) Japanese sweets – Home made mocha with red bean.

15) Matcha – Matcha drink.

We were very pleased with our dining experience. We topped up $40 per person for the additional dishes. Service wise, it was impeccable. When our pot was running low on sake, the waitress or chef will promptly top it up (from our sake bottle, of course). And when I stood up to head to the restroom (unannounced), the waitress immediately came after me to direct me to their toilet (I was unaware they had their own toilets. Most restaurants will redirect customers to the shopping mall’s). And when I said ‘they direct us to the toilet’, it’s really to the cubicle door. In fact, when I left for the toilet again (which means I already knew my way), the waitress still came forth and escorted me. And yes, to the cubicle door. But please don’t be mistaken that the wonderful service extended was only for my toilet trips. (^^lll) Ha.

So yes, I highly recommend Kaiseki Yoshiyuki for an authentic Kyoto-styled kaiseki experience. But do set aside at least 1.5 hours for a comfortable meal.

----------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog

Hoongy !
 • 03 Mar 2014 1844 reviews 254 followers
Overall
When I was previously dining at a sushi restaurant at Mandarin Gallery, I heard a chef talking about Yoshiyuki. When a chef from a different restaurant sings praises on another restaurant serving similar (although not quite the same) cuisine, it was definitely a reason for me to check out the place.

I went for the Kaiseki Lunch ($88),and the meal started with the Sakizuke, a light mix of boiled King crab with Japanese parsley.

The second course was the Tsukuri, Japanese white fish wrapped in seaweed. Also a another refreshing starter.

The fish for the season was the tuna, and the next course was fresh raw blue tuna and tuna belly with freshly grated wasabi. The tuna belly was a little on the chewy side.

For the next dish, one could choose between the Yakimono, stewed fish, or the Takiwase, a stewed daikon with fresh water eel. Feels the stomach up to a certain extent.

And if your stomach is not yet filled up, the next dish of Shokuji, or Asari rice will definitely fill you up.

Dessert was a light vanilla ice cream to end the meal.

Overall, while portions may seem small, it filled up the stomach rather quickly. Food quality and ingredients were fresh with a generally homely taste to it.

Service was also efficient and the chef is very friendly and happy to answer any questions one might have.

Dinner, Fine Dining, Lunch

Boris T Lcee
 • 03 Feb 2014 30 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Saw this restaurant ad over my Jap friend's fb, trust must be a place to try.
While entering, remind me of Shiro off bukit timah then. Everything is near perfect from service to food. Lots of efforts put in displaying the dishes. Yup..kind of pricey though.

Must tries: sashimi. wagyu beef

After Work, Birthdays