Reviews for Zafferano

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

+65 6884 6884

dining at Level 43

My friend chose italian food for her birthday, and most italian restaurants closes quite early but Zafferano was one of the few that opens till late on a Friday, so that was how this venue was decided.

This place sounded romantic and cosy, but actually it was pretty noisy and vibrant. All eyes were on the bar area, right in the middle of the restaurant, where the lighting centerpiece is located.

Happy hour was till 8pm, and a glass of prosecco goes for $8++.

Tap water is available and the warm loaf of bread served pre-dinner, was really nice.

Ordered squid ink risotto, braised iberico pork cheeks, beef tenderloin with foie gras and boston lobster pilaf rice.

The portion for pork cheeks and beef tenderloin was rather small. Liked the pork cheeks. Tender meat and homely taste. Baby carrots were well-cooked. The beef was done medium rare, and the pan-fried goose liver was nicely quivery.

All of us liked the Boston lobster and the gratinated creme fresche sauce. Yums. The pilaf rice with raisin and pine nuts helped to fill us up. Otherwise, we'd still be hungry.

Service was generally good, but sometimes they're just too busy attending to other diners. Short-handed?

For more pictures, you may wish to click on this link.
• 18 Apr 2015 • 10 reviews • 0 follower

Business Lunch Failure

Overall
Oragnized a business lunch on a Friday at Zafferano, with high expectations. Unfortunately what I saw was a restaurant on the decline, you can always tell in Singapore when this happens: only half the restaurant was full on a Friday for lunch, service was abysmal, and the food almost inedible.

We opted for the 'gourmet' businesd lunch starting with the Scampi Bisque. The soup was insipid, lacking any character or weight, and the scampi assembled themselves at the bottom of the bowl as if they had been pulled out of a freezer bag and dumped in the soup before serving.

Mains were the beef tenderloin and homemade shell pasta with seafood. Beef was uninspired but workable, the seafood pasta arrived and the pasta was severely undercooked - crunchy in fact. The seafood was again uninspired, looking like it originated from a cheap frozen pre-made bag lacking in anything resembling character or taste. The fact the chef could plate something this poorly manufactured is unbelievable.

We were asked if we wanted tea and coffee immediately after our mains, and we were forced to reming our server that we had not, in fact, received our desserts. Dessert was well done and plated nicely, the only inspired dish that came out of the kitchen that Friday.

The service quality was terrible. We found ourselves having to search the restaurant for service staff, all of whom carried poor tableside manners and were clearly indifferent about theor jobs. They all looked miserable as if none of them had an interest in being there. We were never asked if we enjoyed our food (even when substantial portions remained on the plate, i.e. my pasta), their goal was to get us in and out so they were not disturbed.

After 14 years in Singapore I have seen the failures of hundreds of restaurants, and Zafferano looks like they're next. The food, service, and clear lack of patrons on what should be a busy Friday demonstrates that reality has caught up to them.

My recommendation for a good business lunch would be SEAR at the Singapore Land Tower, who have impressed me on several occasions. The Black Swan is a consistently solid business lunch destination, too, my recommendation would be to divert your time and money to these establishments.
• 29 Jan 2015 • 9 reviews • 0 follower

Sky High Dinning

Overall
The italian dishes were excellent. I would reccomend going for one of the homemade pastas. The ravioli with stracciatella cheese was delicious, the cheese formed part of the sauce once the ravioli was broken. I find that pasta dishes can sometimes be heavy but the ravioli was light and fresh. The view from the resteraunt is great and even better from the outside bar area. The only downfall was the service. We had to wait a long time before we could make an order and often struggled to get the attention of waiters despite the place being relatively empty when we were there on a week day.
  • Homemade Ravioli filled with Stracciatella Cheese
• 15 Oct 2014 • 3 reviews • 0 follower

Totally disconnected

Overall
I found the restaurant design is quite strange, specially when rent is such a premium, why they allocated such a lot of space for the 2 kitchens and relatively so little for dining?
I guess due to the 2 kitchens in glass boxes in the middle of the restaurant, the cooking smell is a real irritant.

Disconnection - Food

After seeing Seth Lui's review and food photos, I thought of trying this restaurant which is just a block away from where I live, but never visited due to unfavourable comments from my work colleagues.
I booked the restaurant using thier Hungrygowhere Reservation System.
Subsequently I wrote 2 e mails to verify if they serve Fiorentina alla brace. This was confirmed over the phone.
My German guest and I thought since the steak was for 2, will start with  Truffle Tagliatelle ($72) and Risotto Funghi ($28) to share. The pasta came, and suddenly the Italian Manager even without asking started to shave 'white' truffle! He had a scale on his garridon, but he did not weigh, did not ask, shaved and waliked away!! I know its too early for white truffle, so was not sure what it was, and definetely there was no aroma or taste of white truffle. 'I guess thats why its priced at $72.
Pasta was cold. Risotto was warm but bland.
Then came the much anticipated Steak. We were both surprised to see a rather thin and flat Short Rib Steak (no T bone,) and smothered with a red sauce:( I had specifically asked the server no sauce, only salt and pepper and charcoal grilled. She apologized for the oversight, so we decided to eat it anyway. I couldnt be bothered to take a photo to post in this review.
Absolutely dissapointing.
Disconnection - Service
When the bill came I told the Manager I did not order any truffle and the steak was not what was promised and the way it was cooked, he stared at me and said that it was his last working day there and he is joining another steak establsihment!!!
After a very dissapointing food and service experience we thought of checking out the fantastic looking outdoor deck, but on a Friday night there were only 4 other guests:( I guess we should have left, instead we had an after dinner drink and left, never to return.