Reviews for Zafferano

Address: Level 43, Ocean Financial Centre, 10 Collyer Quay, 049315

Book a Table

Book NowFree, instantly confirmed.

+65 6884 6884
10 Nov 2013

dining at Level 43

My friend chose italian food for her birthday, and most italian restaurants closes quite early but Zafferano was one of the few that opens till late on a Friday, so that was how this venue was decided.

This place sounded romantic and cosy, but actually it was pretty noisy and vibrant. All eyes were on the bar area, right in the middle of the restaurant, where the lighting centerpiece is located.

Happy hour was till 8pm, and a glass of prosecco goes for $8++.

Tap water is available and the warm loaf of bread served pre-dinner, was really nice.

Ordered squid ink risotto, braised iberico pork cheeks, beef tenderloin with foie gras and boston lobster pilaf rice.

The portion for pork cheeks and beef tenderloin was rather small. Liked the pork cheeks. Tender meat and homely taste. Baby carrots were well-cooked. The beef was done medium rare, and the pan-fried goose liver was nicely quivery.

All of us liked the Boston lobster and the gratinated creme fresche sauce. Yums. The pilaf rice with raisin and pine nuts helped to fill us up. Otherwise, we'd still be hungry.

Service was generally good, but sometimes they're just too busy attending to other diners. Short-handed?

For more pictures, you may wish to click on this link.
astice alla busara
The management of Zafferano responded to this review:
27 Dec 2013

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your dining experience at Zafferano.

We appreciate your candid feedback on your experience with us.

We are delighted to know you and your friends enjoyed the dishes and ambience. We look forward to serve you better in future.

Please inform us in advance, prior to your next visit as we would like to express our regards to your feedback.

Once again, we would like to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Best Regards
The Management

More reviews of Zafferano

OK Wine Dinner on 19Aug2015

See my full reviews & photos at =

wife & i joined a group of friends for a west cape howe wine dinner at zafferano on 19.8.2015.^^

we had 7pax this time. the last time i joined a wine dinner she organised at halia @ raffles hotel was in dec 2013. we had a larger group then.

i had not been to zafferano before. it’s located on level 43 at ocean financial centre & the terrace outside the restaurant had a good view over marina bay.

i saw the food menu & thought it was quite ok for the price of S$88++, even minus the wine, as i do not take much wine at all.

we started with a chardonay & some canapes.

the tuna was best!

dinner started with some focaccia.

#1 first course was hokkaido scallop carpaccio.

scallop was fresh, sweet, very good slightly gummy bite texture & nice artsy presentation.

#2 for me, the poached & pan-fried octopus was the best dish for the evening. octopus was very tender almost like a sous vide or low temperature braise preparation but just only poached according to the chef. for me it was very as good indeed –

as good as that at monterosso miky in italy, &

almost as good as that at alle darsene at lake como, the best i had.

again presentation was elegant…was it more of the same?

after the dinner though, one friend said his octopus was tough. odd! not sure why?

#3 3rd course was veal ravioli, veal reduction.

it was a good pasta, great ravioli texture, maybe a bit beefy, not really my favourite.

the restaurant replaced it with a cheese pasta for a friend who doesn’t take beef. she said it was very good, and perhaps that would actually be a better choice than the veal ravioli.

#4 next black angus tenderloin tagliata, served with pan-fried foie gras.

the dish sounded good. unfortunately for me & my friends, it was donwright poor!

the foie gras was not creamy enough & did not come with some citrus matching palate.

& i don’t understand the beef.

it is hard to damage a good beef, and this was black angus tenderloin.

beef was hard, not tasty, not flavourful.

tenderloin not much marbling but should at least be tender & sweet.

sorry to say, but i think my own tagliata di manzo is many times better than this, taste & texture wise, cannot match the presentation of course.

did not have photo of the cod which the restaurant replaced for a friend who does not take beef. she said it was very good.

the chef came to talk to us.

dessert was ok, but not my favourite.

overall, my wife & i had derived much lower satisfaction than we expected from reading the menu.

S$88++ was ok with the canapes & wine. for the food, octopus & scallop were my best dishes, veal ravioli neutral, tagliata poor & dessert indifferent.

i don’t know how much the wine dinner we had recently at da luca cost, but the food was superior to this, and i thought the wine this evening was also mediocre.

Business Lunch Failure

Oragnized a business lunch on a Friday at Zafferano, with high expectations. Unfortunately what I saw was a restaurant on the decline, you can always tell in Singapore when this happens: only half the restaurant was full on a Friday for lunch, service was abysmal, and the food almost inedible.

We opted for the 'gourmet' businesd lunch starting with the Scampi Bisque. The soup was insipid, lacking any character or weight, and the scampi assembled themselves at the bottom of the bowl as if they had been pulled out of a freezer bag and dumped in the soup before serving.

Mains were the beef tenderloin and homemade shell pasta with seafood. Beef was uninspired but workable, the seafood pasta arrived and the pasta was severely undercooked - crunchy in fact. The seafood was again uninspired, looking like it originated from a cheap frozen pre-made bag lacking in anything resembling character or taste. The fact the chef could plate something this poorly manufactured is unbelievable.

We were asked if we wanted tea and coffee immediately after our mains, and we were forced to reming our server that we had not, in fact, received our desserts. Dessert was well done and plated nicely, the only inspired dish that came out of the kitchen that Friday.

The service quality was terrible. We found ourselves having to search the restaurant for service staff, all of whom carried poor tableside manners and were clearly indifferent about theor jobs. They all looked miserable as if none of them had an interest in being there. We were never asked if we enjoyed our food (even when substantial portions remained on the plate, i.e. my pasta), their goal was to get us in and out so they were not disturbed.

After 14 years in Singapore I have seen the failures of hundreds of restaurants, and Zafferano looks like they're next. The food, service, and clear lack of patrons on what should be a busy Friday demonstrates that reality has caught up to them.

My recommendation for a good business lunch would be SEAR at the Singapore Land Tower, who have impressed me on several occasions. The Black Swan is a consistently solid business lunch destination, too, my recommendation would be to divert your time and money to these establishments.

Sky High Dinning

The italian dishes were excellent. I would reccomend going for one of the homemade pastas. The ravioli with stracciatella cheese was delicious, the cheese formed part of the sauce once the ravioli was broken. I find that pasta dishes can sometimes be heavy but the ravioli was light and fresh. The view from the resteraunt is great and even better from the outside bar area. The only downfall was the service. We had to wait a long time before we could make an order and often struggled to get the attention of waiters despite the place being relatively empty when we were there on a week day.

Totally disconnected

I found the restaurant design is quite strange, specially when rent is such a premium, why they allocated such a lot of space for the 2 kitchens and relatively so little for dining?
I guess due to the 2 kitchens in glass boxes in the middle of the restaurant, the cooking smell is a real irritant.

Disconnection - Food

After seeing Seth Lui's review and food photos, I thought of trying this restaurant which is just a block away from where I live, but never visited due to unfavourable comments from my work colleagues.
I booked the restaurant using thier Hungrygowhere Reservation System.
Subsequently I wrote 2 e mails to verify if they serve Fiorentina alla brace. This was confirmed over the phone.
My German guest and I thought since the steak was for 2, will start with  Truffle Tagliatelle ($72) and Risotto Funghi ($28) to share. The pasta came, and suddenly the Italian Manager even without asking started to shave 'white' truffle! He had a scale on his garridon, but he did not weigh, did not ask, shaved and waliked away!! I know its too early for white truffle, so was not sure what it was, and definetely there was no aroma or taste of white truffle. 'I guess thats why its priced at $72.
Pasta was cold. Risotto was warm but bland.
Then came the much anticipated Steak. We were both surprised to see a rather thin and flat Short Rib Steak (no T bone,) and smothered with a red sauce:( I had specifically asked the server no sauce, only salt and pepper and charcoal grilled. She apologized for the oversight, so we decided to eat it anyway. I couldnt be bothered to take a photo to post in this review.
Absolutely dissapointing.
Disconnection - Service
When the bill came I told the Manager I did not order any truffle and the steak was not what was promised and the way it was cooked, he stared at me and said that it was his last working day there and he is joining another steak establsihment!!!
After a very dissapointing food and service experience we thought of checking out the fantastic looking outdoor deck, but on a Friday night there were only 4 other guests:( I guess we should have left, instead we had an after dinner drink and left, never to return.

Homely Authentic Italian Food with A View

Zaffareno offers a great view with authentic Italian food.

At a recent visit, I started with the Insalata Zafferano ($18) -Romaine hearts, fennel, Roma tomatoes, shallot, beetroot, capsicum, brioche croutons and shallot cheese dressing. A light and refreshing way to start the meal.

From the pasta menu I tried the Ravioli di burrata ($24)- Light burrata ravioli with basil and tomato passata sauce and roasted tomato confit.

·         I also tried the Risotto al nero di seppia ($24)- Squid ink risotto with baby calamari, red wine reduction and tomatoes.

Finally, the Gnocchi di patate al gorgonzola e noci ($19) is ideal if you love the strong tasting gorgonzola cheese.

Down to the main courses, most if it are designed for sharing.

I tried the Branzino cartoccio ($68)- a whole seabass cooked in paper with olives, capers, tomatoes and spring vegetables designed to share between 3-5 persons.

For the full monty, go for the  Fiorentina alla brace ($168)Charcoal grilled 900g black Angus t-bone steak with oyster mushrooms, shallots and bone marrow. Good to share between 3-5persons.

Lobster lovers would do well with the Astice alla busara ($86)- Boston lobster cooked with chili tomato sauce, pine nuts and served with raisin pilaf rice.

Desserts - go for the homemade Tiramisu ($18) if you have some room to spare.

Well that you have it. Good food with a good view - what more can one ask for?