Review for Z'en Japanese Cuisine

AsianJapanese
Address: #01-75, UE Square, 205 River Valley Road, 238274

01 Aug 2014

Great food, Ambience and Location

Read my full review with more pictures

Served great food but of course it is come with a slightly high price. I had a wonderful meal with them. It is still worth it with the great ambience and good location. After that, there are lots of nearby places to chill out. Highly recommend you to try!
Zuwai Chahan

More reviews of Z'en Japanese Cuisine

Overall

Best grilled salmon in town

Everytime i come here i always order their grilled salmon with buttered soya sauce. My ultimate favorite! I also love the asparagus with blue cheese sauce. And their sushi menu is quite good too! one of my favorite japanese resto in singapore. Although a bit warm, its perfect for a after-work dinner and drinks. おいしいかった!

Stick to Wagyu Beef Shabu Shabu

Wagyu Beef Shabu Shabu was pretty good and ambience is pleasant. Salmon with cream is not bad for those that like butter.

However, other a-la-carte dishes can be improved and disappointing for the price. E.g. Mixed yakitori plate were well grilled but some of the meats were either not flavourful, not tender, had strange hard bits in it or just lots of fats. Cod fish was surprisingly dry.

Also, rather limited selection of dishes that can be used under the Entertainer App.

Wagyu beef !!!

good quiet place, away from the big crowd.  The buffet sashimi and wagyu beef is really good and will go back to eat there again.  And a good range of Japanese sake to choose. I prefer the outdoors and a good place where friends can eat , enjoy and talk.

Good Value Set Lunch

I have walked past this place many times and finally decided to make on online reservation for lunch. The setting is a dark, cozy one with the vibe of a mid to fine dining environment which is popular with Japanese tai tais.

Looking at the different options, I decided to indulge myself with the Business Set Lunch ($35), which was the most premium of the options available.

The meal started with a pork belly salad. It was a generous portion of pork belly and was tasty, but definitely defied the word "healthy" being associated with "salads".

I then had the sushi and sashimi course, which consisted of salmon, tuna, prawn, swordfish and squid sushi together with slices of salmon, tuna and white fish tuna. Fish was fresh and the rice had a good level of vinegrette in it. Nice

Next was the Dobin Mushi, a tea pot soup that was also quite tasty itself.

This was followed by some prawn and vegetable tempura (tempura moriwase). The oil used was quite fresh and the prawns had a nice firm bite to it.

The main course was some beef and cod slides and finally for dessert, some light sorbet to end it all.

At this price point, I must say that portions are generous and one cannot complain.

Average Buffet with Some Unique Creations

Having dined at EN Japanese Restaurant (the branch at Coronation Plaza) several years back, I suddenly feel like having it again, just because I recall it had been good. *Celine, *Charliez and I visited the sister outlet, Z'en Japanese Restaurant - blending tranquility with a touch of modernity to create some of Z'en's popular signature dishes.

We started with the Shabu Shabu - with thin slices of Beef that tasted like cheeseburger's patty literally, except a whole lot more tender and fresher. We also threw in the mandatory must-have platter of Vegetables for a balanced meal - and to add some crisp sweetness to the soup. And fine slices of Pork to further sweeten the deal.

We had one fo the unique delicacies here - the Asparagus with Bleu Cheese - we are not fans of blue cheese, but the lightly-infused method worked really well with this sweet vegetable with a stronger hint of "grassy" taste. This was a keeper.

Another specialty of their - crispy Bacon-wrapped Mochi - a beautiful play of textures, the crispy against the sticky chewiness of mochi, of mochi's plainer flavor balancing the bacon's sapid saltiness out. We enjoyed this creation as well.

All in all, the quality of food was so-so (average), with some outstanding and creative items which I'd pointed out specially above. Each of us spent SGD$68.00 (including our SGD$6.00 drinks) - I'd recommend that one comes here for the wide variety of food and never mind the service.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to pop by: